Sweet Potato & Black Bean Stew

002One of the projects on my ever growing”to-do” list is to organize the huge amount of printed recipes that I have stuffed into a wooden wine box on our bookshelf.  I keep a small recipe box on our kitchen counter for the ones that I find myself using the most, but it’s not pretty or organized at all.  Yesterday, I pulled out one of my favorites – sweet potato, black bean and quinoa stew. I can’t remember where I found this recipe…I think it was probably from one of the many cooking magazines we used to subscribe to.  The funny thing about this dish is that I seem to make it more for other people than I do for my own family.  Many of my mama friends who have given birth in the past two years have received it as a meal delivery…a warm and nourishing offering during that special bonding time at home with a new baby when mama is too tired and blissed out to think about cooking. 004With nothing planned for dinner and (almost) all of the ingredients in the pantry, I decided to make it again.  It’s straight forward and pretty simple, but it is a stew and it does take a while to cook, so don’t start it at 4pm if you want to eat by 5!  There is a lot of room to play with flavor by either adding other vegetables or adjusting the spiciness.  It’s a pretty forgiving recipe, because it is a stew after all.  You will need:

• 3 T Olive oil
  • 1 tsp garlic
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes
  • 1 small onion
  • 2 carrots
  • 1 red pepper
  • 1 cup of frozen corn
  • 1 can (or the equivalent amount of dried) black beans
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes (I used up our last jar from our canned garden tomatoes)
  • 3 cups of chicken stock
  • 2 cups cooked quinoa

Sauté the onion, spices and garlic in olive oil. Throw in the pepper, carrots and sweet potato along with a cup of the chicken stock and simmer until the carrots and potatoes soften. Add the black beans, corn and tomatoes to the mix, along with the other 2 cups of stock and let cook on low heat for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.  Lastly, fold in the cooked quinoa and mix together.006Enjoy with a side salad and a nice glass of red wine. Of course, we are a little partial to Stave 28 in this house, but that goes without saying, right?  Bon Appetit.

One thought on “Sweet Potato & Black Bean Stew

1. March 21, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Mmm, I have made a recipe like this, too, and it’s super delicious. Yours looks really tasty! I would love it if you came by my Link Party and shared these! http://domesticsuperhero.com/2013/03/21/sharing-with-domestic-superhero-thursday-3/ hope to see you!

March 21, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Thank you! I am such an unsavvy blogger…how do I link up to your link party?

• March 21, 2013 at 7:41 pm

just head over to that link i posted, scroll to the bottom of the post, and click add link in the blue box…then add the link to your post, the name of the post, and your email (this wont be displayed). Hit okay. Then you will select a picture that will be the little thumbnail to show people what you made! Then hit ok! done!

March 21, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Thank you! I just did it, but I put my own name in where I should’ve put the name of the post so people know what it is. See, I told you I am unsavvy! I just liked your page on FB and I look forward to seeing more of what you do and following your work! Best, Dara

• March 21, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Thanks, Dara! No problem about the name thing, it happens all the time!

2. Donna Nemeth
    March 21, 2013 at 4:59 pm

This looks delish can’t wait to try it!!Yummm

3. March 22, 2013 at 1:02 am

Looks delish! I think we might have to try it this weekend.

My recipes are piled high on scraps of paper in a basket on top of the fridge…clearly I need to do some organization too 🙂

March 22, 2013 at 3:02 am

Haha! Glad I’m not the only one with a unorganized system! The recipe is quite good and like I said, you can substitute all sorts of things. I once added kidney beans to it and made it more like a chili. Good luck!

4. Donna Nemeth
    March 29, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Made this last night, took to work today for lunch so good! Thanks for sharing…..