Hello, 40…nice to meet you.

When you’re 39, you kind of just sit in anticipation for the entire year of the approaching new decade…at least that’s how I felt.  I have officially entered that new decade and it’s been a sweet introduction; one of great reflection and gratitude.  My path is clear and I truly feel more rooted than ever before…not just to a place, but to a better and more forgiving understanding of this life I am leading.  I feel lighter, as if the weight of that anticipation has been lifted and I’m just free to be exactly who I am, with all of my quirks and imperfections.  I am a firm believer in the old saying, “age is just a number”, but how else can I explain the shift I have felt?  It’s very real and tangible and it’s made me pause more often than usual to just be in the very moment of my life, to savor its essence, appreciate my achievements, feel satisfied with its direction and give thanks for all the people in it.  All of the decisions and choices I have made in life and experiences of all kinds, both good and bad, have led me to this place.

I believe in true love, in fate, in soul mates, in the design of the universe, in the hand of God, in the miracles of nature and the mysteries of them all.  How could I not? All of them played a roll in bringing me exactly to where I am today…to be a partner to this amazing man and a mama to my precious boys.  When I entered my thirties, this was my dream.  The path that lead me here was bumpy and twisted at first, but it eventually smoothed out, opened itself up and with one foot in front of the other, I never looked back.  Yes, 40, I’ve been waiting for your arrival.  Let’s keep going.

One thought on “40

1. Karen
    September 20, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Happy Birthday Dara, Uncle Al and Karen

September 20, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Thanks guys! Love you.

2. Heidi Voskuil
    September 20, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Once again… Well said. Love you Dara!
    Happy 40th!

3. Fran
    September 20, 2012 at 4:54 pm

You both are so lovely. And the boys. What beautiful photos on your big weekend to the great world of 40. Saddle up and keep on riding. Everyday is new, with its joys and its challenges . But all in all it is blessed to be alive and moving and laughing
    and crying, hugging and hugging some more. Kisses in there too! Happy Happy Day!
    Fran

4. gfelz01
    September 20, 2012 at 4:56 pm

My big sister. Happy 40th!!! I’ve decided I’m no longer gonna read anything you write. Cause every time I do, I get just a little teary eyed. Hope you have a nice and relaxing day with the family. I’m sure Michael’s gonna cook some sweet dinner for you tonight. Wish I was there to celebrate with ya and give you a big hug. I would probably tickle you till you pee’d your pants as well, like I used to do when we were little. Anyways, you always have and continue to be a true inspiration to me as I make my way through life. If I was a girl, I’d want to be just like you. But, I’m just your little brother and I still want to be like my big sister. Love you…………………..G

5. September 21, 2012 at 9:56 am

Happy Birthday Dara! You look fantastic for 40! I would’ve said you’re my age and I just turned 30

September 25, 2012 at 3:27 am

Thanks Abby…that’s sweet. Can’t say that I think I look 30 anymore, but I appreciate the compliment!

6. September 24, 2012 at 6:31 pm

A very Happy Birthday! You are a lucky person to be so reasonable.

7. September 28, 2012 at 4:40 pm