The Weekend Roll

My sweet, thoughtful and talented husband finished my birthday present for me this weekend, a bit early.  He built us a shade roof off the back of our house, over our concrete patio.  This area has notoriously been used as dumping ground for all of our other outdoor projects as well as the various toys, vehicles and tools that accumulate here.  Even though we have quite a bit of garden space, we have zero shade coverage in our backyard…until now!  He designed and built the structure himself and even put in cafe lights and speakers!  I wish I could photograph it at night all lit up in its glory…it’s fabulous.  I am soooo very happy and proud of his work.  It’s been our dream since buying this house that one day we would remodel the back of it, put in sliding doors and have the patio be an extension of our indoor living area.  We’re getting much closer to our goal.  Next year we will work on tearing out that back wall and finding better (re: not plastic) outdoor furniture, but for now we get to enjoy not only shade, but also ambience on our patio.

Two years ago we planted pear, cherry and abricot trees to join the peach and orange tree in our garden.  We finally have fruit from the pear tree.  Just one perfectly ripened, deliciously sweet and fragrant little pear that we cut into fourths and thoroughly enjoyed.

These two little guys are really starting to play together as a team…sometimes. I was lucky enough to capture this rare and elusive moment on camera.

Calvin is happier when we are all on the trampoline together.

We started to prepare the winter garden bed.  After our unsuccessful late summer harvest, we gave this bed a break for a while and just used it as a big dirt pile for the boys to dig in. Today, we gently tilled and amended the soil to get ready for the starts to go in the ground.  I just realized that this photo was taken around 4 o’clock and Levi is still in his pyjama pants and slippers. Haha.

Calvin was looking for worms and Levi was finding rolly-pollies.

Let’s hope we have better luck with our winter garden…kales, broccoli, lettuce and mustard greens.

Enjoying our first dinner on the patio. Thanks to the fact that I worked last night, I brought home a fair amount of leftovers which made making dinner after a long hard day of working outside a very simple and quick endeavor.

I love the weekend!

One thought on “The Weekend Roll

1. September 17, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Great family fun , wonderful photos, and a refreshing look at a great family!

2. Heidi Voskuil
    September 17, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Now that’s a man! What a beautiful area you have to gather and giggle in. It’s really beautiful. Happy early birthday Dara! Heidi

September 17, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Thanks, Heidi…yes he is the all around man, for sure…and he COOKS and makes wine. I’m so lucky! XO

3. September 17, 2012 at 5:09 pm

What a fantastic porch you have now. Happy early birthday! For my birthday present, I want you to teach me how to paint. 😉 Love your paintings.

September 17, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Well, if you could teach me to sew from a pattern, that would be a great trade. Can’t you relocate again up to Napa…so much closer for trading lessons. Plus you’d be close to Tim and Mack!

4. gfelz01
    September 18, 2012 at 3:24 am

Dara…….the pergola is SWEEEEEETTT!!! Who’s that dude on the ladder that built it for you?? Also, I called DCFS and reported the fact that you were dominating the children on the trampoline and putting them into submission holds. Looks like you ticked Calvin off in that picture. Wow. Anyways, love you.

September 18, 2012 at 6:08 am

Sweet is right! It’s awesome. My kids are the ones who dominate me, are you kidding me? Such a loving brother you are…