New Bedroom Part II

Over the holiday weekend, I was able to finish up Levi’s bedroom and I am happy to report that it gets two thumbs up.  He loves his “yellow room” and especially having a lamp next to his bed…it’s the small things, right?  The bookcase came out just as I had envisioned it, which was a nice surprise because I really wasn’t sure if it was going to hold all the books like it did.

It’s a colorful and cheery room, yet it’s simple and uncluttered which is just what I wanted.  I am so pleased to see the big “Happy Naked Feet” painting on the wall each time I walk into his room. It just makes me smile! I think deocrating with kid’s art is important and putting it in frames or on display is rewarding for them and validates their creativity.  Lord knows I have a whole flatfile drawer filled of Levi and Calvin’s creations, but I try to showcase some of their work throughout our home in any way I can.  The two paintings on the wall actually came from one large painting on paper that Levi did when he was about 3. It was ridiculously beautiful, but torn in one area.  I cut it in half, getting rid of the tear and then framed the two new paintings.  Recognize the frames?The very last thing I am working on is repainting a small shelf to go over his table and chairs so that he can put some of his “valuables” (aka things he doesn’t want Cavlin to touch), like his lego creations.  The white curtains for his closet need to be hemmed too, but that’s a cakewalk after all of this other work!

I love being in his room, it just fills me up with so much light.  While I was painting his walls I was thinking back to my own childhood bedroom.  It had plush pink (dusty rose to be exact) carpeting and I had a white canopy bed with a pink Holly Hobby bedspread on it. I remember how special I felt when my parents finished it just for me. It was my own little oasis and a place where I wrote in my diary and played with my dolls.  It’s holds a sweet memory for me and I hope that one day Levi will feel the same about his room too.

One thought on “New Bedroom Part II

1. September 8, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Lovely room with beautiful patterns and colors!

2. September 8, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Great job! Love the art work! Please don’t tell me those cement blocks holding up his bookcase are the ones we had in every apartment together. 🙂
    Xxoo
    Annie

September 9, 2012 at 3:51 am

OMG…you are following my blog!!!!! I have been thinking of you so much lately. How serendipitous! Thanks, and no those are not the same ones, although I realized that I didn’t really explain the impetus for the bookshelf in the post I made. I was totally inspired by my college years, as you can see!! XOXOXOXO to you too.

3. Katie
    September 9, 2012 at 3:42 am

Dara, it is beautiful and cheery space — well done! Where did you get the beanbags with the emotions printed on them? Love those. xoxox Katie

September 9, 2012 at 3:49 am

Katie,
      They’re called “Kimochies” and a friend of mine turned me onto them. I bought them on Amazon. They have been really useful in helping Levi deal with frustration and learning how to navigate new emotional territories. Sometimes when he is mad or frustrated I will ask him to go find a Kimochi that describes how he is feeling and it offers up a dialogue which oftentimes can be really challenging for him, as it is for most kids his age.

• Katie
        September 10, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Awesome, thanks! I will look for them. xo

4. September 10, 2012 at 3:10 am

So sweet and well thought out. No wonder he loves it!

September 10, 2012 at 3:17 am

Thanks…he has good taste. Heehee.

5. September 11, 2012 at 5:35 am

The room is amazing. What a cheery color. I’m sure he loves it.

It was so nice to finally meet you IRL. I hope we see each other many more times. 🙂 Thanks again for your hospitality.

September 11, 2012 at 5:52 am

Likewise, Mama! I look forward to more IRL meetings. And thanks again so much for the lovely gifts. The bath salts await, but of course I’ve already busted into the yarn! And the boys love the puzzle and bugs! XO