I finished these three pillows for Levi’s soon-to-be newly decorated bedroom. With their completion, I feel ready to tackle the bigger aspects of the change up…like painting the walls, rearranging the furniture, refurbishing an old bookcase and framing some new-to-Levi photos. The colors in his room are bright and cheery, but not too loud. He wanted to paint his walls yellow and we found a nice buttery shade that looks great and is close to the yellow in his dresser, but a shade brighter. I found this old dresser sitting next to a dumpster in an alley when I lived in Chicago. It was totally falling apart, the drawers needed new slats and backs, but I lugged it up the 3 flights of stairs to my apartment anyways and spent one hot and sweaty summer month refinishing it. I distressed it to make it look vintage and to hide some of the blemishes to the original wood. I love this dresser and it has always worked in every space I have lived in since. It’s been Levi’s dresser since we moved into this house and I’ve used it as a focal point for the color scheme of his room. Speaking of refinishing furniture, I cleaned up this rocking chair that our neighbors had left out on the curb back in the cold, rainy month of January. I saw it outside of our front window just sitting there in the rain and I felt so sad for it, so I ran right out and brought it in from the elements. It was in great shape, no pieces were wobbly or missing, it was just worn and needed to be sanded. It sat in my studio for months until I could figure out where I wanted to put it and how I wanted to refinish it. When I started redoing Levi’s room, I knew it would be just the right chair for him to sit in with a book or two. I had some red stain that needed to be used up and it was a close enough color to the red in the dresser, so it seemed like a good match. I sanded it back down to make it look a little distressed…best to start it off looking worn, that way when it actually gets scratched and bumped by the kids it’s not as noticeable. I felt that it needed a little extra something special, so I started to draw out a design on the chair back, which I will eventually paint in. (The paint sample you see on the wall behind the chair was an idea for his room, but it was too cold of a color, so we are going with the yellow instead.)The other new-to-Levi pieces of furniture that are going into his room is this old Ikea table and chairs set that we used to have in our dining room. We had put it up in the attic during the time that Calvin started climbing onto everything…it just became a jungle gym and no longer a place to sit. I thought it could serve as a mini desk of sorts for Levi, so I painted it in a fun color pattern and made the table top into a magnetic chalk board. All I had to buy was the magnetic paint, which is SO stinky and surely toxic, that if you ever use it be sure to do it outside. I had a mask on and it still made me lightheaded. For the chairs, I lined the seats with a bright and cheery piece of fabric which I glued right onto the board itself. The next thing I’d like to do is make a little side hanging pocket for his chalks and magnets to keep them all together at the table.Michael’s step mom is an interior decorator and used to do a lot of graphic arts in the 70’s. This was a piece she did for a company called Kleeco in 1972 (the year I was born!) It’s such a fun and lively picture, and unfortunately this was the best photo I could get of it with my not-so-great camera. The colors are slightly off, but it gives you and idea of it’s coolness! I’m not sure if it will stay in Levi’s room because it might clash on the new yellow walls. If so, it will find a home in Calvin’s room.
Painting the walls and finishing his new book case are next on the list and then his room will be complete. He’s impatient to have his room back and I will be thrilled to see it all come together like I’ve envisioned it.