Messy Fun

Yesterday we painted with watercolors and made a mess.  That was fun as always, but today we decided to step it up a notch and paint with…shaving cream!

I had tried to make a batch of homemade finger paints today from a recipe I saw on Pinterest, but it came out WAY too gloppy and chunky.  Of course, the baker in me should have known that I used too much cornstarch when I doubled the recipe. I ended up putting my goppity-goo in the blender with more water and some oil to try to smooth out the texture. It finally worked.  However, when I added the food coloring to the mix, the colors looked nice and bright but then on paper they were really transparent and sort of dull.

I had the boys all pumped up for finger painting only to have their excitement (and mine) fizzle out when the paint went on the paper.  So, after seeing a post on Sew Liberated for shaving cream & ice paint I decided to give that a whirl instead. I didn’t have any ice paints made (they are currently in the freezer), but I figured the shaving cream would be a new experience at least.

When I came to the table with Daddy’s shaving cream in my hands, Levi looked at me in disbelief as I squirted it all over his paper.  I said, “Go for it!” and after that there was no looking back.  Of course, it quickly went from their hands to their cheeks…just like Daddy. They had so much fun and made such a colossal mess, it made our afternoon slump a whole lot better!

When the shaving cream fiesta was over, I hosed them off in the back yard and we had some snacks in the garden. Getting messy sure is fun.

By the way…it seems that WordPress occassionally displays advertisements on their site. They say this is to keep the cost down and it free for its users. I get it, but I don’t like advertisements for violent video games, underwear, ugly shoes, or LED TVs on my blog. So, I’m working on getting an upgrade for my blog that will eliminate this sort of disturbance to my peaceful visual world (heehee).

One thought on “Messy Fun

1. Fran Spratt
    August 2, 2012 at 5:03 am

Oh my gosh that looks like so much fun. At the pre-school my daughter went too.
    They would fill a small plastic swim pool with shaving cream and let them go for it.
    Quite fun for all. You are doing such a wonderful job. Many hugs your way .
    Fran

August 3, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Thanks, Frannie…miss you lots.

2. August 2, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Looks like fun! I’ll bet the kids smelled like shaving cream even after you hosed them down — Awesome!

August 3, 2012 at 11:51 pm

They sure did!!

3. August 2, 2012 at 7:10 pm

What an awesome Mom you are. Look how happy you make these kids! Kudos! .

August 3, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Awww, thanks so much.

4. August 3, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Wonderful!

5. gfelz01
    August 9, 2012 at 2:48 am

Dara,
    I’m moving to California soon. I’m looking forward to being naked with my buddies Levi and Calvin out in the garden doing guy stuff. I would also like to chase the chickens around if that’s alright. Love you lots and miss you everyday.

G

August 9, 2012 at 5:25 am

AHA!! You DO follow the blog. I thought you were my fair-weather follower-brother. Yes, Uncle G, your nephews would love it if you ran naked with them through the garden and chased their chickens with them. Whatever gets you out here is fine with us. Love and miss you too, everyday!!!