Yarny Things

I

On Tuesday nights, I go to a lovely little knitting/crocheting circle with a few other gals.  It’s a fun group and between us all there are lots of ideas, patterns, yarn and laughs to share.  My friend Brooke, is an amazing fiber artist…seriously, it’s wicked crazy what this woman is capable of.  She’s a one woman show…teacher, knitter, quilter, business owner (Sincere Sheep | Naturally Beautiful Yarns & Fibers) and maker of many beautiful things, especially her yarn. Her yarns are gorgeous…true works of art in themselves. She hand dyes all her fiber, most of which is locally sourced, in her backyard with all natural dyes. I have yet to experience the process first-hand, but I’ve always imagined Brooke standing over caldrons bubbling with soaking wool and a big stirring stick…something very pagan and awesome.

She does the whole “fair” circuit: Renegade Craft Fair, Bazaar Bizarre and CA Wool & Fiber Festival among many others here on the west coast.  So when she asked me to make some crocheted Cuffs and “Ball of Yarn” Prints for two upcoming fairs this weekend; Maker Faire and CNCH, I agreed with gusto.  She offered me her own yarn to use for the cuffs, which of course made me giddy.  The colors are as vibrant and rich as jewels.

I had a couple weeks notice to get things rolling on this project and so being the creative optimist that I am, I figured that I could surely attain my lofty goal of 20 cuffs and 40 prints. It was definitely in the realm of the possible, had I not gotten severely attacked by my allergies, the kids had not gotten colds (again!) or my husband didn’t go out of town for work (of course this all happened at once) during this time. But alas, that is life. I got about half of my goal completed and I’d say that’s a pretty good start. Next time, maybe I’ll be more realistic and allow for some unforeseen curve balls. I should know better by now!

One thought on “Yarny Things

1. Amber @ Rowan & Oak
    May 17, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Beautiful! Way to go. Especially considering all the curve balls you were up against. I really like all the yarn prints in different colors. And the cuffs are gorgeous.

May 17, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Thanks, Mama. At first I was disappointed in myself, but then I snapped out of it. There will always be another time. I was grateful she gave me this opportunity to get started! Hope you have a great weekend!!!! XO

2. May 18, 2012 at 12:03 am

I love the cuffs and the prints.

May 18, 2012 at 12:15 am

Thank you! They were fun to make. You and Brooke sound like you’d get along…spinners!

3. May 18, 2012 at 2:57 am

Those cuffs are awesome! Is that broomstick lace? And those yarns! I’ve been wanting to try natural dyeing for aaaages. Her website is a glorious visual feast!
    I love the prints too. I always overestimate what I’m going to be able to produce. Good to know I’m not the only one!

May 18, 2012 at 3:03 am

Yes, some of the cuffs are broomstick. Others are my own pattern, or just a basic shell stitch on some of them too. I think most creative types often have the “eyes are bigger than our stomachs” approach to projects…I always think I’m going to get more done than I actually do. Oh well…at least that doesn’t stop us!!

4. May 18, 2012 at 6:13 am

Love the colours, the cuffs (going to check out the link now) and your prints!

May 18, 2012 at 5:01 pm