Potato Printing and More

Today while Calvin was napping, Levi and I did some printing. I have been wanting to get back to printmaking for quite some time now and I figured that playing around with the medium and introducing it to my son was a good way to ease back into it.  So, I opened up the garage/studio door to let in the morning light, cut up some potatoes, recycled a piece of styrofoam and got out some tools. Levi of course was thrilled that I was letting him use my “very sharp cutters”, as he calls them.  I taught him how to hold the cutter, how to push it away from his body and to never let his other hand go in front of the blade. It only took one little nick into his finger for him to learn that I meant business. Good thing there is always a stash of band-aids near by.

He loves using tools, as do most little boys his age. Getting him to understand and follow a process however takes a bit more orchestrating. He was way more interested in actually making the marks in the potatoes and on the styrofoam then he was turning them into inked stamps on paper. With a little coaxing though, he saw the magic happen and then he was on a roll.  The mood of the day was red apparently, because he didn’t want to use any other colors.  We had fun together and that’s all that matters. After about 15 minutes of printing he was off bouncing a superball down the driveway and chasing it down the street, which gave me a bit of time to work on my own printing.

I started this linocut a few months ago when I was working on my holiday cards. It’s been sitting on my studio table since then, just waiting patiently for my return. It’s a sweet little print and I’m fairly happy with the result. Today I just printed it on the cardstock craft paper that I was using for Levi’s project and I used his cheap craft paint. I will reprint it using my good ink on high quality paper, which will allow for a lot more of the details to show through.

The ink was barely dry before I was being called out into the yard to come play ball.  All in a day’s work and fun.

One thought on “Potato Printing and More

1. April 26, 2012 at 3:13 pm

That is lovely, I really like the idea of lino printing. Is the lino a specialist product for printing?

April 26, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Thanks Katie, a linocut is the type of print that comes out on paper after you’ve made your carving into the linoleum block. You do have to use special carving tools (blades) for it, but all of that can be found at most art supply or craft stores. It takes a while to get the hang of it, but it’s magical once it works out.

• April 26, 2012 at 5:43 pm

ooooh (looks online at amazon books, tools, etc)…. 😀

2. April 26, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Love it! You are way braver and more patient than I am as a mother. Can you give me some of your mothering mojo? 😉

April 26, 2012 at 4:07 pm

E-word, that makes me laugh. It’s an illusion…yes, I might be patient for certain things, but a lot of other times I am lacking in the patience department for sure. Like getting dressed in the morning, for example…why does it take 20 minutes for a 4yr old to put on a shirt and pair of pants?

3. April 27, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I used to love to do that….I think I even have some stuff around—hmmmmm you’ve got me thinking again…not good! Love the “art gallery” in the background on the white cabinet.
    Your yarn ball is quite awesome.

April 27, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Go for it!! The art gallery is all around and ever-changing. I think those were from a few years ago when Levi was really into coloring…not so much these days.

4. Amber @ Rowan & Oak
    April 27, 2012 at 7:54 pm

This is amazing Dara! I love the yarn ball.