4-in-1 Pants

So, I did it…I actually finished a sewing project from an ACTUAL pattern.  It’s the first time I’ve ever done this with an article of clothing and I have to say, I am pretty darn proud of myself. I’ve followed a few patterns before for super simple things like tote bags, but this is a much bigger accomplishment for me. One more notch in my teach-myself-how-to-sew belt.

I’ve long admired the talented fabric designer, Anna Maria Horner and have checked our her books, Handmade Beginnings: 24 Sewing Projects to Welcome Baby and Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing from the library on several different occasions with the intention of actually making something from her patterns.  Many times the books got returned without me attempting a single project, but this time I was bound and determined to get one done.  Of course my first thought was to try these adorable reversible pants, called the Quick Change Trouser, because how can you go wrong with reversible pants for a toddler?

I used fabric from some old sheets and some scraps from my bin to make these little gems. Today Calvin got to model them for the first time and I was giddy with delight as I watched him frolic around all day in his new handmade pants.  They are the perfect pair of pants for say, watching chickens and goats at Connolly Ranch where Levi goes to preschool.

I can’t wait to whip out a few more pairs, and dare I say…make them a few sizes bigger for him to grow into? I would have to figure out a way to enlarge the pattern, as the largest size is a 2T and that’s the size I already made. I feel like with this sewing project achieved, I can make my own pattern, right?

Why not? I’m on a roll….

One thought on “4-in-1 Pants

1. April 25, 2012 at 3:31 pm

My only advice on grading the pattern up is to increase the length only. Not the width. Kids don’t really grow wider until later.

April 25, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Thanks, Elizabeth! I’ll give it a try…and that does sound about right judging by Levi’s clothes.

2. Amber @ Rowan & Oak
    April 25, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Great job, Dara! They’re so cute. You can totally size up. Pants are the easiest pattern to make yourself. Did you by chance increase her pattern to accommodate the cloth diapers? I’d heard you needed to with this pattern but my boy (and yours) is such a string bean. I was wondering if it was really necessary.

April 25, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Thanks! No, I didn’t change anything and I used the 2T size. I did cinch up the elastic pretty good, but gave myself overlapping room to let some of it out if he needs it in the future. I was thinking of increasing the pattern somehow to make a pair for Levi.

3. May 25, 2012 at 6:14 am

cute pants! I love the print!

May 25, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Thanks…unfortunately, I returned the book to the library and forgot to jot down the instructions. If I made them a few more times I could remember how to do it, but I’m still too much of a beginner!

4. May 28, 2012 at 7:57 pm