- First strawberries picked from the garden…the boys ate them so fast I could barely take a picture. Yes, that’s the way Levi often heads out into the backyard in the morning…half dressed, naked or in pajamas. At least he slips on his rain boots with whatever he happens to be wearing (or not wearing)…they don’t need to match or be on the right feet, obviously.
- Levi’s Grandma & Grandpa recently sent him a kite in the mail and he got a chance to fly it on Sunday with Daddy and Calvin. Trying to take a picture of a boy flying a kite is next to impossible. Neither was still for more than a second…I’m amazed I got this one and only shot. Calvin gleefully chased his big brother around with his arms up in the air reaching for the kite.
- One of my favorite cookie recipes is from Nikki’s Healthy Cookies Recipe – 101 Cookbooks. It uses no sugar, butter or wheat, but MAN does this cookie taste GOOOOOOOD. Whenever I have a few brown bananas (which is not very often in this house of monkeys), I make these cookies. You will need almonds (or almond meal), coconut and coconut oil as well as oats. I follow the recipe pretty closely, but some substitutions I’ve done are:
- If you don’t have enough bananas, I have used applesauce + bananas and it has worked just fine.
- In this batch, I added a few tablespoons of chia seeds and subbed out some of the shredded coconut and added sesame seeds instead. (I still used coconut, just not as much as the recipe calls for.)
- Keep them refrigerated or freeze some for a later date…that doesn’t seem to happen around here, as they get eaten too quickly, but they do freeze nicely.
Eating From the Ground Up is a new blog by a woman named Alana Chernila, that I just fell in love with and I am going to add it to my links right away. She also just wrote a book called, The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making. I now have it on hold at the library and can’t wait to read it! On her blog you can also download her kitchen music, which are hand picked mixes she and her husband have made. Love it!!
Hope everyone’s weekend was a good one and that your Monday is off and running in the right direction.