I’ve been working on some patches this week for the kids’ clothes. Levi has blown through the knees on his two of his favorite pairs of pants. They both still fit him well, with even some room yet to grow into, so a few patches on the knees were in order. This practical mending soon led me to the more whimsical and fun patching! I realized that both boys had a few plain (and pretty stained) t-shirts. Nothing that a little Heat-n-Bond and some cute fabric can’t cover up, I say!
I found this great shower curtain at the thrift store last year that has all these retro-inspired nature motifs on it and I have used it for several projects. With the scraps I had left, I made these cute leaf patches. The big leaf patch is for Calvin and the small tree one is for Levi. I’m not a huge fan of logos on kids clothes and Levi had a shirt with some Old Navy logo on the breast that was covered up nicely by the tree patch. Yay!
The bird patches were from a linocut print that I did for my holiday cards last year. I had been wanting to try printing onto fabric, so I just grabbed some scrap material and used fabric paint instead of printmaking ink. It came out pretty good, except I had to go over the design with a black fabric marker to sharpen it up. Today the boys wore their shirts for the first time and it was like they were twins. Pretty darn cute.
Oh, and the dinosaur patch…that was a joke. Well, not really, but the way it came out was pretty funny to me. I decided to machine stitch it and I didn’t use a free-motion foot, so it was a bit complex navigating the pressure foot around all those little corners. It came out kind of rugged, but hey… it’s a T-Rex, so it’s kind of fitting.
Looking forward to sewing some more…now that I have my machine out and working, I’ve got the itch! Uh-0h.