The Unmade Home

When I started following blogs a few years ago, I quickly became over-inspired by all the lovely stories of stay-at-home moms practicing “simple living”.  You know the ones. The blogs where “super mom” exists…she cooks from scratch everyday with food from her own garden; makes her own clothes (and those of her children); is active in her community; has time to devote to her yoga practice or her knitting; raises (and most likely homeschools) creative, spirited and loving children; has a weekly date night with her husband and her home is the bustling, warm and shining beacon of all that is simple and handmade.

After many months of being inspired and dazzled, I soon began to feel inadequate and admittedly jealous.  I looked at the piles of unfolded laundry, the dirty floors, the papers piling up on the desk…and just what was I going to make for dinner tonight? I wanted to know how in the WORLD do these women do it? What do they know that I don’t? Is homemaking just not my thing? Maybe I was just on the short side of the learning curve.

I went on blog hiatus for a short time and stopped comparing myself to all these other women. I started to look at the things I do accomplish in the day as opposed to those I don’t. I started to realize that I am on a learning curve, that a lot of what makes up our day is all about learning. I’m new to gardening…so much of it is still so foreign to this girl who spent most of her adult life in the city.  I am teaching myself to sew and crochet more complex things by checking out library books and watching tutorials on youtube. Cooking…I love to do it, but so much of it does not come natural to me and I am often nose-deep into a cookbook for guidance.  Creative time with the kids…I always feel like I could be doing a better job of branching outside of my comfort zone.  Yet, I am mindful of all of this and each day I learn to let go a little bit more and take the time to be present in the moment, no matter how imperfect it may be.  As mothers and homemakers, I feel that we need to support each other and congratulate more often; celebrate and be proud of what we accomplish at the end of our days, for it is a mighty task!!!

So with that, I want to assure you all that my days are not made up of perfectly baked muffins, a clean and organized house and completed craft projects. My days are often as imperfect as can be…like finding the banana peel Levi left in our bed from his morning snack or the fact that some days he’s still in his pyjamas at noon playing dress-up with my lipstick.  Calvin is learning to eat crackers off the floor from his older brother, and he just loves to wash his hair with sticky, blueberry covered fingers.  As for my studio…it recently looks like a bomb exploded in it as I try to rearrange and sort through material and tools to get better organized.

On this blog I want to share with people all the creative and positive, funny and touching things that transpire in our lives…to focus on the “good stuff”.  But rest assured, for every seemingly “perfect” looking moment you may see here, there are a hundred more that are just as imperfect as they come.

I’d have it no other way.

One thought on “The Unmade Home

1. Fran
    March 5, 2012 at 7:28 am

hi ! Fran here. you can laugh somewhere in there or cry. Remember that in real life we all know that the real moms have laundry to the sky . Sometimes there are surprises in our beds and theirs ! Bombed out rooms can always be cleaned somewhat sometime someday sooner or later. For Pajammies… I love them and think that at least once a week the whole family should not get out of them ! Remember what your Dad said! At the end of the day,you are doing a great job girlfriend. I need to drop a good bottle of wine to you. Letting go of the crap and thinking of what you have accomplished in a day. Just a moment can bring things back to “ah hah moment” That’s where you give yourself a hug because your friends are probably folding laundry or shoving it into a closet, so they can post photos ! smile smile

March 5, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Fran, you crack me up!!! Thanks for the pat on the back. Some days it’s just a comedy skit waiting to be written, I swear. But, I know I am not alone and that life is messy and unorganized at times and that’s perfectly fine. The all-day jammies is a great idea. We usually do it on Christmas, or when we’re sick, but perhaps I’ll make it more of a weekly routine! Why not.
      Much love to you, Dara

2. Fran
    March 5, 2012 at 7:31 am

I love the cracker demo ! Builds a good immune system !

3. Beth
    March 5, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Dara, I am loving your blog!! I a trying to do the same in the mama world, just being grateful and proud of all I can do for my family and munchkins, who knew raising a family was such hard work, no one told me this isn the beginning!! Much love always,
    Beth

March 5, 2012 at 4:49 pm

HI Beth…so good to hear from you. Thanks for following the blog. That makes me so happy. I know what you mean…I had no idea either. But, it’s a fun ride!! Much love to you and your family too. Dara

4. March 5, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Gray’s hair product of choice is butter off his morning piece of toast;) I like Calvin’s blueberry, adds a lot of color, he he he.
    The eating things off the floor is, I suspect, a boy thing. Audrey is quite horrified at Gray’s floor eating activities. Even as a baby, she never did eat things off the floor. Or enjoy banging things together, LOUDLY. It’s a new experience, having a boy. I often send you good wishes when I think about you with two:)

March 5, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Amber…it must be genetic w/ boys. So much of what they do is just so “boy”…you know? We wear earplugs a lot around here…it dulls the excruciating pain of the noise. Pans on the kitchen floor are particularly loud, but they somehow don’t seem to mind. The louder the better in their world. Ahhh, boys. XO

5. Mom
    March 5, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Dara,I love your blog! Every time I see my grandsons’ faces it makes me smile. I only wish we would have thought to take pictures of you and your brother when you both got stuck in the dryer, or your other brother taking out the oven racks so he could climb in. The more life changes the more it stays the same! Don’t be hard on yourself as a mom, know that you are an inspiration to young moms as well as us older ones. We never stop learning! I love you lots, Mom

March 5, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Thanks Mom…I learned it all from you! When I think back on all the funny stories from our childhood, it boggles my mind how you survived some days!! Seriously…the one about Matt taking off all his clothes in the bank I think takes the cake. Well…getting stuck in the dryer was pretty exciting too, I guess. Haha. Glad you are liking the blog. I love you. D

6. wikiwahine
    March 5, 2012 at 9:13 pm

We should pay each other more “surprise” visits, sure would make us feel better….
    Love to hear (and see) that your chaos is just like mine 🙂 … and why do you think are Lemmys locks always so nice and curly… 😉
    Keep on writing, always enjoy your new posts with a nice cup of coffee, while Lemmy is napping!!!!

March 5, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I agree!! Surprise visits are always a nice diversion. Yes, chaos rules our worlds, I’m afraid. Thanks for the comment. Love you guys. D