In Our Kitchen

In our kitchen…

-We have just eaten through the last of our winter beets (or should I say, “I have just eaten them”…since I’m the only one in this house who does.)  We still are harvesting carrots and greens, but that’s about it.  Soon we will get to planting our spring/summer garden and we can’t wait.  Seed catalogues are dangerous things!

-I recently made a wicked batch of granola and oat bran zucchini/apple muffins.  I can’t remember where I found the granola recipe from…probably a Heidi Swanson book. I just had it written down on a scrap piece of paper stuck in my recipe box.  It’s pretty straightforward…oats, seeds, nuts and dried fruits.  Specifically I used: 3 cups oats, 1 cup chopped mixed nuts (almonds and cashews), 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds, 1/2 cup flax, 1 cup coconut, 2 T brown sugar, 1 cup dried fruit (dates, cherries, apricots and prunes), 1/2 cup honey, 1/3 cup coconut oil, salt and spices to taste.  I pulsed all the ingredients a few times in the food processor just to break it down a bit. Heat the coconut oil and honey together in a pan until melted and pour over mixture. Spread evenly on 2 cookie sheets and bake for about 1/2 hour (more or less depending on your oven), stirring and rotating pans every 10 minutes to avoid burning.   The muffin recipe is from the Moosewood Restaurant cookbook, but you can find it here:   Apple Zucchini Muffins | Garden Guide  Two substitutions I did: I put in less brown sugar (it calls for 3/4 cup, but I only put in a 1/3 cup) and I used whole wheat pastry flour instead of white flour.

-Put your kid in the sink to splash around while you make dinner…try it, it works.

-Levi using the egg scale to weigh a particularly large egg which was recently layed.

-The muffins and granola ready to eat…scrumptious for breakfast with some yogurt!

Hope there are yummy things happening in your kitchen too. Feel free to share your recipes with me!!

One thought on “In Our Kitchen

1. March 2, 2012 at 5:56 am

Oh how I love everything about your kitchen! The veggies, the muffins, the adorable kiddos, and the kitchen itself. I would love to have such a healthy, happy kitchen as you do. Thanks for the inspiration!

March 2, 2012 at 7:05 am

Thank you! What you don’t see…because I haven’t yet posted it, is the broken crackers and spilled juice on the floor, the messes on the counters and the crying, whining children at my feet (they just aren’t cute to take pictures of when they are crying!) I try to post the pretty, happy moments of my day, but they’re not all like that! Thanks for stopping by. Dara

• March 2, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Dara, you mean you have a REAL home? Thank goodness. 🙂 This gives me even more hope that I can have a healthier kitchen despite the constant chaos around here. Thanks so much! Have a lovely day!

2. March 2, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I love how green and healthy everything is in your kitchen! I’m trying to start a garden myself so that I can grow my own food.

3. March 2, 2012 at 4:29 pm

We’ve been making a lot of granola too. Also cooking ‘practically instant soup’. Take homemade chicken stock and add brown rice noodles and chopped greens and whatever protein is available (frozen shrimp, shredded chicken, an egg or two), salt and serve. Surprisingly good for so little effort.

March 2, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Sounds super good and easy too…right up my alley.

• Becky
      March 6, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Great idea, Amber. I’m adding that to my grocery list!